I am missing time from work. Can I get compensation for missing time from work?

Posted by John Harris on Wed, Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

Q: I am missing time from work. Can I get compensation for missing time from work?

A: Accident victims have the right to be made whole again--to be the same after the accident as they were before the accident. Because of your injuries, you may be forced to miss work, or otherwise have your livelihood interrupted. Your earning capacity may be impaired for an indefinite period of time. This may be caused by your injuries, lack of transportation, disability, mental stress, etc. You have a right to be compensated for this loss of income. If you became disabled as a result of the accident, you may also have a right to collect from state disability insurance or from the Social Security Administrations's disability program. The time or costs you spend in the process of making yourself whole and well again (travel time, transportation costs, car repair expenses, time spent at the doctor's or in therapy, etc) are also compensable. As if the trauma and inconvenience of the accident were not enough, the insurance company may require reams of documentation (to the point of harassment) to have you substantiate your claims of lost wages, time spent in therapy and expenditures related to the maintenance of your well-being. Keep a diary, or daily log, listing all your trips to the doctor or physical therapist, as well as the miles you drive to get there and the time you spend for treatments. If you have any questions concerning your rights in this area, please contact the law offices of John Harris at (540) 371-4941 for a free, no-obligation consultation.

Topics: Car Accident Injuries & Deaths